Thursday, December 29, 2005

Morningside Elevator

This elevator was located in Morningside, a hamlet located about 5 miles north of Lacombe on the main Canadian Pacific Line between Calgary and Edmonton. It was originally an Alberta Wheat Pool, and was later operated by the Morningside Feed Coop. This is the only elevator I have seen that had the elevating leg on the outside of the elevator. Normally, it's located on the inside of the structure. These pictures were taken on April 28, 2004.


This shot is looking to the north.


Looking from the west, showing the exterior grain lifting leg. I don't know if it was added on later, or was part of the original structure.


From the east.



Sadly, this picture was taken on September 19, 2005. I was on my way to a meeting in Leduc, and thought I'd drop by Morningside on the way up. To my shock, the elevator was gone. As far as I know, it was finally torn down in April, 2005.

I don't have any history on this elevator, and it is one I would like to get some information on. If you know anything about it, please let me know!