Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Elevator Kids

I was at the Prince of Wales Elementary School in SE Calgary today, where I met the Elevator Kids. They are in the Grades 1 and 2, and their teacher, Mrs. Jennifer George, invited me to speak to them after she had read about me in the Calgary Herald last November.





I met with the kids today, and was very impressed with the amount of knowledge they had about elevators. I showed them a slide show presentation I did on Powerpoint, and gave them a copy of the Vanishing Sentinels maps, while they sang me two very cool songs, and showed me a DVD of them going to Edmonton and talking to Gary Mar and Premier Ralph Klein.

I also received a very beautiful poster of grain elevators and a story which the last years class did... when one of the children read it to me... it took a very hard effort to prevent myself from crying. It was that touching!

After I was finished... some of the kids gave me these drawings that they had done of elevators... and they are posted below! These were done by Grade 1 and 2 students, and are very impressive!











Finally... this is an model elevator one of the kids showed me, and I believe he said that he and his dad put it together... this is a really nice job!



All in all... it was a great experience talking to the kids... just wish I had more time to spend with them! I am really glad to see someone is teaching kids about elevator history... because they are our heritage!!!

Here's their website: Check it out! http://www.galileo.org/schools/district-cbe/princeofwales/stories/index1.htm