Here are the final (I hope) updates on elevators in Alberta... this trip covered an area from Delia to Ft. St. John, B.C. to Two Hills and Lougheed in the NE of Alberta. This trip took about a total of 30 hours driving time, and about 2000 kilometers traveled!
Camrose, Alberta #3 Elevator Has Been Demolished
Here is the Camrose #3 Agricore-United elevator as it was in 2004.
Here is the site as of August 14, 2006. The elevator was demolished this spring (2006)
Bittern Lake, Alberta
This elevator was originally an an Alberta Wheat Pool, and was moved to it's present location between 1986 and 1991. It is now located about 3 miles west and 1 mile North of Bittern Lake.
]Originally privately built in the 1930's, and is located 10.3 kilometers north of Gwynne on Sec. 822 (1 km north of Twp 47-4 on RR 23-0.
This elevator is owned by Justamere Farms (Ballhorn Family), and is located west of Gwynne on Highway 13 and Range Road 23-4.
This UGG elevator was moved in 1978 from it's original location in Kavanagh, which is about 4 miles south of Leduc on Highway 2A. It is now located on Highway 39 West of Leduc, and slightly north on Range Road 25-4
NE of Nisku, Alberta
This elevator was privately built back in 1939, and is located 2 miles east of Nisku then 2 miles north (Township Road 51-0, Range Road 24-4)
This Agricore-United Facility was originally built in 1947, and had a second elevator added to it in 1957. This complex was taken over by UGG in 1967, and then by Agricore-United in 2001. It is located at 7410 - 120 Ave in Edmonton.
The Alberta Oats Facility was built in 1995-1996, and is located north of Highway 37 and on Range Road 23-5 (The access road is just west of the rail line)
East of Namao, Alberta
These two elevators were built between 1940 and 1952, and were both privately built. Both are located just east of Namao.
This elevator was used by Alberta Wheat Pool for fertilizer storage.
This steel facility is built by Great Northern Grain Terminals Ltd. This facility was opened about 25 years ago (1981)
Grimshaw originally had 7 elevators, and has only two now. The older Alberta Wheat Pool is now used for storing fertilizer.
This Agricore Elevator is now abandoned.
Hines Creek, Alberta
Hines Creek, located at the end of the steel NW of Fairview, has two elevators, which are both privately owned. One originally was an Alberta Wheat Pool, but was taken over by UGG, while the other is a UGG.
This annex was originally located in Berwyn (about 5 miles SW of Rycroft), and is now located on Secondary Road 685, and is east of Range Road 25-1 (the road turns north for 2 miles). No information was available when it was moved.
The Cargill (located 1 mile east of Rycorft on Highway 49) was built in 1998-1999. The three elevators in town were taken over by the Peace River Seed Co-op.
The Louis Dreyfus was originally built in 1998 by UGG, and taken over in 2002.
Agricore Built in 1998, taken over in 2001 by Agricore-United.
These three elevators are owned by the Peace River Seed Co-op (As of 2002).
Dawson Creek, B.C.
The concrete Pioneer Built in Early 1980's taken over by Louis Dreyfus May 1, 2006.
Louis Dreyfus Facility opened in November, 2001
This Agricore-United elevator is on the NW side of town, and is still in operation.
Ft. St. John, B.C.
Fort St. John originally had 5 elevators, but now has 2 Agricore United and 1 Cargill Concrete.
This elevator is owned by Agricore-United, and was built in 1957.
This one was built in 1967.
The Cargill Concrete was built between 1985-1986.
This elevator was closed in the late 1970's and is now located 1/2 east of Warwick.
The Buffalo Bin which was built in 1981, was closed in 2001 but is still leased out by Agricore-United. Vegreville still has a Cargill concrete elevator, and and Agricore United elevator on the east side of Vegreville was converted to a pea plant in 2000.
Poe Elevator (Located On Farion Farms) South of Twp Rd 52-2 on Range Rd. 16-1 (East Side of Road)), Moved In 1984
Vegreville AWP (Located On Farion Farms) South of Twp Rd 52-2 on Range Rd. 16-1 (West Side of Road), Moved In 1985
Inland AWP (Located On Farion Farms) Township Road 52-2, and Just South on Range Road 15-4, Moved In 1982
This elevator was originally an Alberta Farmer's Co-operative, then a UGG. It was moved from Sedgewick between 1986-1991. It is located on Township Road 44-4 1/2 mile west of Secondary road 870 north of Lougheed.
The Iron Creek Museum is a Pioneer elevator built in 1937, and closed in 2001. The elevator was repainted in Pioneer's original colors, which were white and yellow.
Killiam's two UGG elevator were bought by Great Northern Grains in 2003.
Green Acres Farm Elevator
This elevator was torn down in Forestburg in 1973, and was rebuilt on it's present site. The elevator was originally built between 1914 and 1916 as an Alberta Pacific, which became a Federal (1967) and AWP (1972). This elevator also had a tilting platform in the weigh scale platform for unloading wagons. It is located SW of Forestburg on Secondary 855... about 3 miles south of Highway 53.
This annex is located south of Gartly on Range Road 19-2, South of Township Road 30-2. It is either from the Searle or Alberta Wheat Pool elevator, and was moved in the 1970's