Thursday, May 10, 2007

Found yet another elevator



On a tip I got from Johnnie Bachusky, I went out yesterday to confirm an elevator east of Blackfalds on Twonship Road 40-0, about 7 km east of Highway 2A. It had the name "Highview Farms" on it, and after making a few phone calls, I found out that this elevator came from Mintlaw... a now vanishing community SW of Red Deer, which used to be on the Alberta Central Railway, which ran from Red Deer to Rocky Mountain House. This elevator was a Searle, and was moved in the late 1950's. The elevator's annex was possibly from the Searle elevator (possibly a former Saskatchewan Grain Co. Ltd. elevator) from Prentiss, which is NW of Joffre.

This would make the grand total of Searle elevators remaining in Alberta up to at least 6. I will have more updates on this elevator as soon as I can find out more.